[Harp-L] need input re: harmonica mics

I would like some input about harp mics. I've used a Shure green bullet
(model 520DX) for close to 10 years and I like it quite a bit. However, in
my opinion, it has a serious design flaw in that the cord cannot be
disconnected from the mic itself. The other night, the cord finally went bad
from the inevitable tugging over the years. I was able to take the mic apart
and solder the loose wire and it seems to be working fine again, but I've
never liked that the cord doesn't disconnect from the mic.

Before I went to the green bullet (maybe 20 years ago), I used a Hohner
Astatic bullet (model JT-30H). I like the deco design of the old Astatic
much more than the green bullet, and the cord plugs into the mic so I can
remove it after playing. Problem is, my old Astatic didn't seem to last all
that long. I don't remember exactly, but I only used it for maybe five years
tops before it stopped working (not sure why).

Here's what I'd like to get feedback on. I've decided to get a back-up mic,
just in case the Shure's cord should go bad again at some future gig. Rather
than springing for another green bullet with that stupid built-in cord, I'm
thinking about going with another Hohner Astatic. I read some pretty good
reviews of it online and I'm willing to give it another try; use it at
practice, maybe some gigs, but keep the green bullet for big jobs.

Anyway, before I buy an Astatic, I would love to hear some opinions about
both mics. I enjoy the discussions here and have a lot of respect for the
harp players who post. Perhaps you guys could give me some feedback?

(sign me) Mac the Harp