RE: [Harp-L] Reading Music

Well, to continue the parallel with language writing, I think there is a
clear connection between reading and theory understanding.
It doesn't mean you can't learn things without reading, it just means it's
longer, more difficult, and I would add limited (but that's only my point of
view).
Personally, I would have been totally unable to learn mathematics without
reading, but I'm sure few can, to a certain extent.
By the way, human history begins with writing.

I would say exactly the same as you, in the other way around: playing only
by ear is often emphasized to an extent which doesn't take into
consideration its limits.
Of course, it still is an extremely important process to integrate.
I just say reading can help and gain a huge amount of time.

For example, I am now working on a Charlie Parker solo. I could have done
that by ear, of course, with a huge amount of work, as you say, I can hear
it so I can reproduce it... I would have needed 3 or 4 years only to hear
and remember every single phrase ... and 3 more years to be able to
understand his choices, to be able to make my own choices in the same
context.
Of course, I could have realized that in less time by playing 10 hours a day
or more, like Parker did, but I have neither this time nor this capacity.
These two phases are done in few minutes by reading the solo.
Now I can practice it, and work on a more "ear learning" phase, much more
profitable once the rest is already done.
I've saved many years.
Now the interesting point is that once I can do that on few solos, my goal
is to do the same all by ear.
Because I think it is also very important to be able to do that, for other
reasons, and I think it will become feasible once I've already accomplished
the previous phases thanks to reading.

Regards,

Jerome
www.youtube.com/JersiMuse