[Harp-L] Re: My favorite big amp is a tubed down Fender Super Reverb Reissue

----- Original Message ----- From: "John F. Potts" xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Amp Comparisons - Are there any?

Well, it depends a lot on how you WANT to sound. My favorite big amp is a tubed down Fender Super Reverb Reissue.
-----------reply------------

I don't understand what is meant by "tubed down." Using 6V6's instead of 6L6's ??

I still have a '68 Super Reverb that I converted to AB763 back in 72. One of the best amps I have ever had - for guitar OR harp. Period! And I am biased! So there! After the Pre-CBS Super Reverb AB763 I think the '67's & 68's are second best of all time when converted to Blackface. Did I mention that I am biased? =8^D

Caveat: I have never owned a real '59 Bassman or a 5e7 Bandmaster. If I ever decide to make a clone amp, it will be the 5e7 w3x10"s.

In my '68 Super, I have Vintage GE 6L6GT's in the output section and Vintage Sylvania 12AX7 in the Pre of the Reverb channel. I have a Navy WWII Jan 12AU7 in V1 (Pre of the clean channel) and if I am only playing harp, I will jumper the clean channel (second jack) Lo-Input to the Lo-Input of the Reverb Channel with bright switches both in the OFF position. That gives me the ability to use the World Famous spring reverb these amps have. Usually, I play guitar thru the reverb channel and harp thru the normal channel. And I don't play them both at the same time. Play guitar until it's time to take a harp solo and turn vol.off on git to play harp. I use a Two Timer delay with the harp. Works for me.

Harp-only, Daisy chain the two channels. Plugging the mic into the Hi-Input of the clean channel isn't an issue because of the lower gain of the 12AU7, and taking the signal through the parallel 68K/1 Meg voltage divider further reduces gain to the input of Channel 2 which in position 2 has a similar 68K/1Meg divider. It tames the beast nicely.

I may change tubes whenever I am inspired to do so or find a new batch of old tubes. I have a separate unit tube tester but there's nothing like plugging into a real amp and testing a tube. A "REAL" Tube-Tester! I have a number of class A amps as well and swap tubes all the time. And they all have a different voice... and then each tube has it's own voice... and it's a grand chorus. TONE!

I love those Super Reverbs from the 1960's. The later amps are more difficult to re-wire/cap to BF specs with that crazy tube bias circuit - another voltage divider, but I digress.

If you're looking for an old Super Reverb beware of the late 1970's Silverface (AA270 or AB270 ?) They are much more difficult to tame but it can be done. Warning: This device uses high voltage and will KILL YOU if you aren't careful!

BTW I hunt vintage tubes. "You can't get great tone without great tubes." I also like to share my discoveries with appreciative amplifier afficionados. <grin>

Splash!