Re: [Harp-L] need input re: harmonica mics

J. Michael Leonard asks:
I would like some input about harp mics. I've used a Shure green bullet
(model 520DX) for close to 10 years and I like it quite a bit. However, in
my opinion, it has a serious design flaw in that the cord cannot be
disconnected from the mic itself. The other night, the cord finally went bad
from the inevitable tugging over the years. I was able to take the mic apart
and solder the loose wire and it seems to be working fine again, but I've
never liked that the cord doesn't disconnect from the mic...<clip>

J. Michael, the suggestion to have Greg Heumann install a screw-on connector is a good one. I'm sure you's end up with a professional, secure and sanitary installation that would last for the life of the mic'. Greg's in-line volume controls are terrific, too; I know 'cuz I have one that I use all the time for my Fireball. One of his wood bullet mic's or one of his ultimate mic's would quickly relegate your GB to back-up status, I betchya. Can't go wrong with Greg's work.

However, I'm a bit of a tinkerer so I'd like to offer an alternative to having your bullet modified. Since you mentioned repairing the cable yourself, I assume you are adept with a soldering iron. What I like to do with all my mic's is install a pigtail cable (a foot long or so) with a female 1/4" jack on the end. That way I don't need any special cables because I can plug any guitar cable into the pigtail. I've done this to all my mic's so one guitar cable is all I ever need. (You'll need a special cable with a screw on connector for your modded mic' should you go that route.) The key benefit to using this kind of set up for your mic's is that the male and female 1/4" connectors form a nice strain relief since they easily pull apart if the cable gets stepped on. No repairs or switching mic's needed; just plug the guitar cable that goes to your amp back into the female connector on your mic'.

Works great for me.

Michelle