Re: [Harp-L] Reading Music

The way I see it is that if you are playing in a combo of 4 people and used to switching the lead, you don't need to read music. If you are playing multiple part music (as in a 5, 6, or 7 piece band), where there are 2nd and possibly 3rd parts for harmony, you had better learn to read music. There is nothing like playing a part and having a player on both sides of you doing completely different parts. THATS where your 'ear' will fail you.
But then people who can read shouldn't be elitist about it. Looking down on a person who can't read music is the same as looking down on a person who doesn't read French. That person may not be bi lingual but they may be able to turn on the panels at a neuclear reactor. I have known readers who couldn't play their way out of a wet sheet of toilet paper. Nome sayne?

smokey joe