Re: [Harp-L] Questing For a Basic Competency in Jazz

Hi Elizabeth

> "What does a decent jazz player do when a song is called that he/she
> doesn't know?"  What SHOULD he or she do?

There are many paths to nirvana. If you are not an ear player or one that
aspired to developing her ear-to-harp connection as your main tool for
navigating jazz changes then here is my recommendation. Learn the melody
first. Then look at the changes and break them up into commonly employed
chunks. For example  II-V-I in major and minor tonality, and dominant
chord chunks that cycle in 4ths. Develop improvised lines about these
changes.

Cheers,
Daniel