Re: [Harp-L] tab question

Joe Filisko developed a very good tab system that he uses for teaching. Don't know how available it is unless you study with him, though.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Eyers <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, Feb 6, 2011 5:08 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] tab question

This thread seems to follow on from the Reading Music one. These threads
come up regularly, sometimes with a little heat.

Here is my take. I read music quite well - for baroque recorder. I play
in a professional baroque ensemble, rehearsing and performing without
music is out of the question. I hardly read at all for harmonica, over
the years many of the elite players I've met are likewise. I wrote the
following in one of my tremolo harmonica lessons (apologies in advance
for quoting myself)

"The ability to read scores is useful, but not essential. Many excellent
players cannot read scores at all, or at best, only slowly. The scores
in these lessons are an efficient way to show the notes and the rhythm.
But, the aim is to play music. As soon as possible, learn the tunes,
ignore the scores and just play."

If reading music is the shortest path to playing it, the case for
classical (and baroque) performers, then learn to read. Otherwise, just
play.

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.HarmonicaAcademy.com