[Harp-L] Music that sounds good in only one key

I have never been quite able to figure this one out, but it does not seem to
be a matter of just moving up or down X number of semitones.
Most Irish Traditional tunes are 'written' in the keys of G or D or their
associated Minors.
Somehow they do  not sound great played in C (Don't ask me how I know!)
In a thread on "Perfect Pitch" some time ago I seem to remember that someone
remarked that people with that particular gift can detect "D ness" or "G
ness" or "whateverness" when they hear a piece of music.
Beannachtai
Aongus Mac Cana