RE: [Harp-L] In ear monitor set up.

I've been experimenting.  Here are my ramblings:

I bought a pair of monitors from Alien Ears
(http://alienears.com/monitors.htm).  They are the cheapest I've found and
they are fine in quality.  I also ordered musician's earplugs from them with
15db filters (http://www.alienears.com/plugs.htm).  They are not bad in
terms of cutting volume fairly uniformly across frequencies.  Of course, the
down side to either is that we play an instrument that conducts within our
heads, so it changes the subjective experience considerably to hear the harp
in this way.

The transmitter receiver setups unfortunately are quite expensive - over
$1000.  Again, Alien Ears has one of the most reasonably priced, but even
theirs is $500 (http://www.alienears.com/wireless.htm).  So I bought a cheap
set for about $150 to play with.  It's not so good :(  It is a Nady E03
(http://www.nady.com/eo3.html). It tends to cut out and generally be of poor
sound quality.

In any case, what I have planned to do with this is have the house monitor
through it along with an ambient mic to add a bit of naturalness to it.  I
haven't tried it playing out yet.  I think I need a better transmitter
before I do.  I'm still tinkering with the internals on the transmitter to
see if I can get it working better.

So, I've been using my musician's earplugs at jams.  The local one I go to
is very loud.  The plugs protect my ears, I have my amp as my personal
monitor and run line out to the PA so also have some of myself through the
house stage monitors.  The band is plenty loud even with the plugs.  Between
the amp, monitors and bone conductance, I can hear myself well enough.

I much more enjoy playing without anything in my ears, but I don't want to
lose any more of my hearing.  I tell the younger guys that they will end up
like me with hearing aids if they don't protect their ears.  The jam leader
says he knows that but shrugs his shoulders.

I hope others with share their thoughts about these technologies.

......Pete in Alaska

P.S. - I think it is worth it for all of us to get the earplugs for playing
with loud band and even when in the audience when music is loud.  They are
only $125 and are comfortable with custom fit ear molds. The 9 and 15db
filters reduce the overall sound and not just the high frequencies.  The
25db filters tend to roll off the highs more.