RE: [Harp-L] New Irish Tunes Up, Check It Out

Rock-solid sense of tempo and internal rhythm, the latter not often achieved by aspiring Irish harmonicists! Great in-tempo change from slip jig to reel - exciting stuff there. For anyone who doesn't play Irish tunes, I can tell you that these are both very tough tunes to play, and Joel was showing no sense of strain at all. Also, playing for four minutes-plus, unaccompanied, without the merest hint of flagging, is very difficult to achieve in this music. I like the tongue-block octaves (actually, I'm jealous,'cos I can't do that!), but I do wonder whether the vamping-style chords add very much - not a criticism of Joel, who does a great job with them, but of that style of self-accompaniment in general for Irish tunes, which I've never really enjoyed (again, possible sour grapes as I can't do it meself!). A matter of taste more than anything. I think you're an awesome player and if you're ever in Bude you can take over from me in our session any time (I'll just drink the beer)!

Steve Shaw