[Harp-L] Sonny Jr. Super Cruncher

I needed a more powerful harp amp for an impending gig and did the research
we all go through, reading the good, the bad and the flaming. I settled on a
Sonny Jr. Super Cruncher, and wanted to put this out there to balance and
inform. I contacted a few harp amp companies, as I needed a bigger amp right
away. That's a tough one, since boutique amps are handmade, so I wasn't that
hopeful. One company, who likes to compare its amps to others, didn't even
return my phone call. Bad business guys. But one man made it happen for me -
Sonny Jr. and company went way out of their way to get a new Super Cruncher
to me in time for an important gig. There was an intense snowstorm on the
East Coast, one of the worst in memory, it shut down services, halted
shipping and made it hard for people to leave their homes. Yet Gary (Sonny
Jr.) moved heaven and earth to get the amp to me in California in about a
week after I ordered it. He got how important this gig was to me and went
way out of his way to accommodate. The packing was first rate and the amp
arrived in perfect condition, absolutely beautiful. But the proof was when I
took it to the gig. This was a bigger venue than we were used to playing and
I needed a bigger gun to be heard. I was smiling all night. Here's what I
experienced - right out of the box, using the recommended settings: the amp
can reach amazing volumes with tones that frankly just make you play better
- truly inspiring. Dynamically, it is unbelievable - at full volume the deep
growls of bent lower notes are a thing of beauty, the highs are sweet -
cutting without piercing. When it came time to play soft passages, I
couldn't believe my ears. Soft, expressive notes came through crystal clear
with a subtlety and nuance I've never heard before. Seriously, it would take
a poet to describe how good this amp sounds in a live situation. One thing
that is important to me as an older musician - although the amp is not
exactly light - it felt easier to carry than my other amp, which is almost
10 pounds lighter and about a third as powerful. Something about the balance
of the Super Cruncher makes it easy to lift, carry upstairs, get in and out
of clubs. Plus, at the large and oddly shaped venue that I used it for on
its maiden voyage, there was no need to mic it or use the line out. That
solved a big problem for me, as we like to let the vocalist have the PA to
herself when there is no house soundman to dial things in, which is most of
the time. Gigging musicians understand, there are lots of times when you
just don't have time to do much more than plug in and play, and this amp
makes that possible, with confidence. As far as being heard, I got
complements from people sitting right next to the stage and people 30 yards
away. I will never need to mic this amp unless it is for a stadium or huge
outdoor gig. Makes life easier. Some posters say that Sonny Jr. amps are not
"pedal friendly". Hogwash. I used a hint of reverb from a Boss Fender Reverb
pedal and a touch of delay from a Lone Wolf harp delay and the amp responded
beautifully, just making a great thing better. Maybe if you are using a long
chain of pedals, things could get dicey, but personally, I like to use and
carry the least amount of things I need to sound as good as I can. I prefer
a thick, pure Chicago tone with a lot of presence but without a lot of
frills. I've got that now. Stood 3 feet in front of the amp and blasted away
with zero feeback. I have no relationship to Sonny Jr. amps, nor anything to
gain by touting his product, I am just a very satisfied customer. There are
many fine amps out there, but most of us can only afford one or two and need
to chose wisely. Listen to the reviews from the top pros who endorse Sonny
Jr. amps, they are not jiving, man. The craftsmanship, the tonal qualities,
the personal service - you can't do better than this!