RE: [Harp-L] Chromatic Harp played by Walter Horton?

I don't know what a certified recorded example of use of a chromatic by Walter would be--it's really just a matter of you, the listener, trying to figure out what he's doing.  It's sometimes tough to tell the difference between a chromatic and a diatonic played in 3rd position but usually you can come to some conclusion if you spend enough time with the recording.  I saw Big Walter frequently in the early '80's and my recollection is that his equipment was always the same: Marine Band harps, unmodified Astatic JT-30 with standard gray finish & contact connector, into an in-line Switchcraft volume control, into a 1970's silverface Fender Princeton.  That's it--it never varied.   I don't recall ever seeing him with a chromatic, although I'm copying this email to a friend who would be more of an authority than me.

There are a couple of other Big Walter recordings on which he probably was playing a chromatic.  Check out, on the Alligator recording with Carey Bell, Under The Sun and Have Mercy.  Both tunes are in D, suggesting use of a C chromatic in 3rd position and the tone & phrasing on both tunes sounds like a chromatic to me.  Let's see what Jim says--he's the man on this stuff.  The other guy who would know, definitively, would be Joe Filisko.

John