From: Vern [mailto:jevern@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 15 February 2011 22:42
To: Aongus Mac Cana
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Note Bending Science

Because the reeds are so thin (about .012" at the tip if there is a slug on
a low-pitched reed and much thinner than that for the other reeds, hardly
any rounding is possible.

More rounding is possible on the .040" thick reedplate.  It seems plausible
that rounding the edges of the slot might reduce the loudness of high
overtones by making the closing of the flow passage less sudden as the reed
swings through the slot.

In order to verify this speculation, one would need to take audio
spectrograms before and after altering the slots.
To determine if it is perceptible to listeners, a carefully designed "blind"
comparison of sounds from rounded and unrounded slots would have to be
arranged.

I expect that the spectrograms might show slight differences but listeners
would be unable to perceive any difference.....but I could be wrong.

Because the pressure ratio and consequently the velocity and Reynolds number
are low, viscous effects predominate over inertia effects in the flow.  This
reduces the effect of sharp edges and roughness on total flow. In any case,
I doubt that the player or the sound of the harp would be affected by a
slight increase in total flow....but I could be wrong.

Vern