RE: [Harp-L] What Mic to get

Todd-

I'm sure you will get some very detailed technical info from some of the mic builders on this forum but until then here is a couple of basic things that might help from a player's prospective.

1) Crystal mic elements are humidity and temp sensitive and require more care that Controlled Magnetic or Controlled Reluctance elements

2) Crystal elements like the MC151 tend to have a brighter sound compared to the CMs and CRs. However, if you have good cupping technique and depending on the amp etc one can get a warm sound with a crystal. Cupping is everything!

3) CM and CR are generally thought of as having the classic Chicago tone.

4) Yes, there are subtle differences among MC151s and other crystals such as the MC127s and other MCxxxs. There are Ceramic elements that are great. The old R7s are awesome but very expensive if you can even find them. There are several CMs to choose from; some made in Mexico or Japan or the older American made. All can be identified by the part numbers. Some say that the old American made CRs are the best but some of the Mexico CMs are good. The Shure Green Bullet 520DX models are generally not as good (tone) as what comes in the 520D series and the old American made Shure 520s are generally thought of as having the best CMs or CRs.

5) The housing or shell impacts tone especially if the little vent hole is not plugged. Also the weight of the shell and how it fits your hand for cupping and comfort is important. The weight of those green bullets can wear your hand strength down if your playing a long gig and make good cupping difficult which can be a distraction

6) Buy from a reputable mic builder. Ebay is a crap shoot.

7) Volume controles are great but keep in mind that the type (value/megs) of the pot will impact the output of the mic

8) Cupping is everything. Did I say that already? :) My personal mic of choice is the classic vintage Astatic JT30 with a MC151 and a vintage SwitchCraft VC and a SwitchCraft 1/4" adapter to a guitar cable into effects or amp(s). For me it's good for rock or blues. Generally I turn the treb down and get the tone in the lows and mids. This is generally true for most mic/element combinations. Jr Wells had a tone that seemed to have a mic/acoustic thing that I really like and I can get close to that tone with my rig. Closed tight cup for warm tone and open up and loose cup for a most acoustic/electric tone with the MC151.

If you google "Harp mic elements" you will get lots of data on the elements and the associated part numbers, setups and prices. And the prices are going up on the good ones.

There are lots of good comparisons out on youtube for you but remember that youtube audio is no where near hearing it live.

Good luck
Buck