From: pdxharpdog <pdxharpdog@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: List harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, Jan 1, 2011 5:48 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] learning to be your own customizer

I imagine there are others like myself who play SP20s as their main axe of
choice. With SP20s, the quality I get out of the box from my supplier varies
immensly. Some are really good, and others play stiff and weak.

I have made it a goal this year to get proficient "under the hood". I have
Ruperts videos and have perused the youtube chronicles on customizing from the
logical sources. I have purchased a table-mount lighted magnifier so I can get
up close to the reed plates.   I have attempted to work on the reed slot gaps,
but frankly have had many more failures than successes.  The only thing I have
learned to be competent doing to a harp is tuning.

For the life of me I can't tell why the good ones are playing better than the
crappy ones.  I have bought custom harps and taken them apart to see if I can
tell the difference from stock, but still can't say I get it.

 Is this something you have to apprentice under a master to get? Who's doing
that?

Thanks and Happy New Year to all of you on Harp-L !

Ross Macdonald

www.sassparillapdx.com