[Harp-L] Premier 50

Hi, all,
I have a 1956 or so Premier 50 with an 8 ohm Utah speaker that came to me with a blown output transformer.  It also came loaded with a 6L6 power tube.  I am thinking that perhaps the prior owner swapped a 6L6 for a 6V6 and that the additional output blew the transformer.  I can't readily find a replacement transformer with the right primary wind resistance (3K to 5K) that can handle a 12 watt output.  I'm wondering if the 6L6 tube is just wrong for the amp, and if I should just get a "champ-style" 5 watt-capable transformer and run a 6V6, or whether the 6V6 is the right power tube and I need to keep seeking a sufficiently robust output transformer.
Any Premier 50 experts out there want to chime in?
Thanks!

-Dan