Re: [Harp-L] Re: Hohner Unsere Lieblinge Harmonicas

Hi,

becher95 web.de schrieb:
Overblowing seems to be VERY limited - I'm sure that this will not be the first choice of any player if he likes to play chromatically...pls give me an example on the phone if you succeeded in making chromatic music on a Tremolo with dicrete combs ;-)

your statement was, that it wasn`t possible to play overbends on a harmonica with separated reed chambers. I wrote that this is easy, if the reed is located in a chamber with no valves and no holes in the walls. Well ,that is certainly true. Usually the offset of octave or tremolo harps is much wider than on a diatonic, but if you regap it is much more easier to overbend than on a diatonic, because the reed is isolated in its chamber and you don`t have to force a second reed - like on a diatonic - to choke and close the chamber, before you can bend up.

(See the Claviola from Hohner, where the reeds were mounted in the "wrong direction" so that they produced only overbends, each sitting in an isolated chamber).

It is a question of construction. Is it possible or not to play overbends on these tremolos or octaves. It is not a question if this would make sense to chose such harps to play chromatically. I woulnd`t do this, my first choice is always a chromatic harmonica ...

By the way, I think Winslow has made some recordings with his discrete comb harps.

Otto