From: "Mike Fugazzi" <mikefugazzi@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 7:13:47 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Cleaning - Bar Keeper's Friend substitute?

I am of the understanding that http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/ is not very
easy to find at the local store (hopefully, I am wrong). Is there a more
generic and easy to find substitute? I will order if I need to, but I am
sick of only finding things online, lol. I picked up a G Marine Band from
the 60's in an eBay auction and after my general cleaning procedure, it need
some more cleaning.

Honestly, it was the dirtiest harp I had ever seen. The cover plates have
some rust and crud that I will deal with down the line, but there is a build
up beyond oxidization on a few of the reeds. Everything plinked and rang
just fine - in fact, it wasn't even too badly out of tune. The comb was
DISGUSTING. There was a ton of build up and it was obviously chucked.

At any rate, my goal is just to get the harp restored and working - I have
not plans to mod it beyond arcing and gapping. Yesterday, all I did was
take it a part and put it through a couple rounds in an ultrasonic cleaner
and then brush them with a toothbrush (not mine, my wife's). I am just
hesitant to add anything to the reeds and reedplates that might hurt them
and have heard excellent things about this product. This is one of those
projects where if I have five minutes to myself, I will noodle with it, and
waiting for stuff in the mail makes is less appealing.

Thanks!
Mike Fugazzi
vocals/harmonica
http://www.mikefugazzi.com