[Harp-L] Alan Wilson's harp on "I'm Her Man"

     I can't remember if I saw it here or on some other forum, but someone recently was speculating about what kind of harp Alan Wilson used on the tune "I'm Her Man". If you check out the video footage available of Canned Heat's set at Woodstock, it's pretty obvious that on that gig Alan played a 12 hole Hohner Marine Band Soloist in the key of C. The closeups of Alan playing this tune reveal the harp's cover plates and distinctive nut and bolt attachment, along with the bright red paint on the comb, and the clincher is aural confirmation.
     I own a couple of these harps and their tone is quite distinctive, less bassy than a "real" chromatic, but nonetheless very cool sounding, and for me a perfect tool for playing chromatic style in third position. There are a few other recorded examples of blues harp players using this model. Slim Harpo used one for his Excello recording of "Blues Hangover", and if memory serves me right, I believe Big Walter Horton used one on his Blind Pig recording of "Skip It".
     This harp used to be marketed along with a booklet and LP teaching aid, packaged in a couple of different versions back in the day (mid-Sixties), and was also available from Music Minus One (you!). Every one I've found over the years has been of pre-war quality, with the Star of David on the bottom cover plate and wonderful tone. No valves, but the reeds are of Hohner's pre-war alloy, and you can get some great bends while playing this "poor man's chromatic".
Pete Sheridan
www.petesheridan.net

Mortgage Rates Hit 2.99%
If you owe under $729k you probably qualify for Gov't Refi Programs
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4d35dfcaef78acdcfcdst02vuc