Re: [Harp-L] Bluegrass

and... as a possible next best thing to Winslow's slow jam suggestion, if you want to create your own "poor man's slow jam" when you just can't find anyone you can keep up with (yet), play the audio file of a tune you're trying to learn using Quick Time. on the QT menu bar, choose 'Window' and 'Show A/V controls', at the bottom of the A/V Controls window, you'll see a slider bar where you can adjust the playback speed without affecting the pitch.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

good training for developing your ear, too.

Jim.

>>> Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx> 1/24/2011 11:00 AM >>>
Celtic musicians can likewise look with a severe eye on beginners joining in at
expert sessions.

Which is why slow sessions exist. People new to the music and/or new to their
instrument can get together with others at the same level (and perhaps a patient
accompanist) and learn the tunes at a manageable tempo. This gives them a
welcoming environment to develop the tune knowledge and chops to eventually join
in at the expert sessions.

Winslow
Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com