RE: [Harp-L] That great "Bluesy" stage sound

"Degregorio, Jeffery" wrote:
<Thanks, What microphones (whether bullet or non-) do most people
<recommend around $100 or so - not that willing to spend more $$$
<wouldn't be done to get a richer sound.

The Bottle o' Blues is the least expensive mic around that will do the job, for about $60.  Be warned: that mic has a very good overdriven sound for blues, but it's not very good for making clean acoustic harp sounds.  That aside, I like the sound of this mic for blues.  You can read my review of it and hear a (solo) amped blues recorded with it at:
http://www.hunterharp.com/gear-review-bottle-o-blues-mic/
This mic isn't used by a lot of pros, but it does what it does well and is good value for money.

You can find Shure SM57s and SM58s for sale at places like musiciansfriend.com for under $100, and with a decent amped setup they'll work fine for blues, and for lots of other genres as well.  These mics have a high frequency peak that's intended to flatter a vocalist, so you'll need to turn down the treble EQ on your amp.  No big deal.  The SM57 and 58 are used by plenty of pros, and they're very durable pieces of gear.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick