RE: [Harp-L] That great "Bluesy" stage sound

Hi Jeff,

I personally find that the digital effects boxes add a subtle sterility to
the sound.  I've not tried tube based or designed-for-harp (lone wolf)
pedals for delay, distortion, or other effects.

I agree with others that the primary route to good tone is
technique/embouchure (haven't heard that word here in a while!) and cupping
technique.  Equipment is second.  Some of the mics recommended (SM57/58,
fireball) are clean and won't add to your desired "fatness," though they are
excellent mics. The bullet mics, bottle o' blues, SM545, and others will add
some of the distortion you seek. You can get the current model Shure "Green
Bullet" for $120 (http://tinyurl.com/47m488r).  I was fortunate to buy my
USA made Shure 520 in 1982 ($74.50 - which was a lot back then) and still
use it.  You didn't say what mic you are using.

A good tube amp with as little as 5 watts can also help dramatically.  There
are a couple of current models that have been discussed here (like the VHT
special 6) for under $200.  One of the classics, and what I have, is the
Kalamazoo Model 1 or 2, a 5 watt tube amp from the 60's.  I bought one on
ebay for about $175 and had Greg H work it over making sure all components
were adequate, added three prong power cord, and added a line out for $110
(http://www.blowsmeaway.com/kalamazoo.html).  There is a Zoo on eBay right
now that claims to be all of the above except for the line out for $225:
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-KALAMAZOO-Gibson-MODEL-1-GUITAR-AMP-/26072777049
4?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb4960d7e (http://tinyurl.com/4hd7yx6).

I can't say enough about the Zoo.  Along with the bullet and the degree of
technique I have developed thus far, I am pleased with the sound.  The line
out allows me to plug into the PA at jams and be loud enough even with
deafening bands.  The line out is post amp, so it carries the same sound you
hear through the amp itself.  And the amp is not muted, so you have your own
stage monitor. In smaller venues, the amp is plenty loud enough by itself.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Having said all that, if you really want to stay under $100 for now, I would
pick up a used Digitech or Zoom G2Nu multi-effects box to play with.  It may
not be what you stay with, but it will help you get familiar with all of the
effects and make the most of your existing amp without spending too much for
now.  If you are serious about harp long term, some early investments will
pay off.  That $74.50 I spent in '82 when I was a grad student hurt a bit,
but it was one of the best investments I ever made.  Something like a Zoo
amp will not lose its value.  $200-$300 now resulting in one in good shape
and taken care of will be worth at least that in 10 years.  In fact, you
probably could have gotten setup with a good Zoo for 1/2 that five years
ago.

.....Pete in AK

This may be a simple question, but I'd like to know through experience how
that "bluesy" rash sound over an amp can be attained.  I know lots of people
use it (not sure of the term)- recently heard Sonny Terry of Houston use it.
Since I have been playing for 1 ½ years now, I want to try working with
different sounds.  I have a small Peavey amp that only has volume, gain, and
simple settings, but no reverb or delay on it.  Therefore, I'm looking at
getting the Behringer DR400 or DD600 (the DR has delay and reverb) to
connect it to.  Any comparable products out there that being used?  Anyone
have any ideas what to do/get or setups for around $50-100.