From: Vern <jevern@xxxxxxx>
To: Mox Gowland <mox.g@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, January 28, 2011 12:14:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] MS slot lenghths

Harmonica manufacturers do not always use the same slot dimensions for the same
pitch and vice versa.  The differences depend on the model, the key, and the
date of manufacture.

Hohner has standardized on a finite set of slot lengths and two reed widths.
Any Hohner reed will have one of these standard dimensions.

I refer you to http://www.patmissin.com/tunings/tunings.html  where you should
download Pat Missin's "Altered States" and open the SLOTS.TXT file.  All
harmonica technicians should be grateful for Pat's information.
He lists the pitches and slot dimensions of many harmonicas.

Not only pitch but also slot length and width are necessary to determine reed
interchangeability. IF you have that information, model and key are irrelevant.
I prefer to use the internal jaws of an electronic caliper (about $35) to
measure the slot (not the reed) dimensions.

Vern