Re: [Harp-L] Re: Aebersold Chord Notation Questions

There may or may not be a difference.

Someone suggested that the parentheses may indicate that whatever is inside
those parentheses may be optional.

That may or may not be true.

Notation is inconsistent in two ways:
-- Not everyone writes consistently, even in the same piece of music
-- Different writers and systems have developed different conventions.

For instance, the "Broadway" school of writing *always* puts parentheses around
added notes. It doesn't mean that they're optional, just that they're added. For
instance

C7(b9). This is a C7 chord - C E G Bb, with a flat 9th (Db).

In a sense, that b9 is optional  - you could just play a C7 chord on piano or
guitar and it probably wouldn't hurt anything.

But if you're running a scale over that chord, you'd better not play a D-natural
because it will clash with the D-flat. You absolutely need to know about the
flat 9th (D-flat).

Now you could also write this chord without the parentheses, as C7b9. It conveys
exactly the same information and everything I wrote above remains true. You can
argue about which one is easier to comprehend at a glance on the page.

Winslow
 Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com