Re: [Harp-L] learning to read music

Whether or not to read music should be no more contentious than your favorite
color - who can argue about that?

But it's more than a preference - it's a tool, plain and simple. Some tools are
good for particular tasks but not all tasks. Reading music is less helpful for
music that is transmitted orally, and very helpful for music that has
complexities that are not easily picked up by ear or remembered without looking
at a detailed map.

Reading music tells you the results - what the listener ends up hearing. It
doesn't tell you how to get those results on your instrument - what key to
press, what string to pluck, what hole to blow or draw.

So learning to read has two distinct elements:

-- Learning what all the  symbols mean and what results they convey
-- Relating that to the physical actions of playing your instrument

You can learn them both together, or separately. The advantage of learning them
separately is that you understanding of notation does not get welded to one
instrument or one tuning or type within your instrument.

My book, Harmonica For Dummies, does not depend on notation but does both
explain and use it, along with some basic chord theory.

Winslow
Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com