Re: [Harp-L] learning to read music

I believe that the more knowledge a person can acquire, the better.
I honestly can't think of any disadvantages to being able to read music,
only beneits. In the same way, being able to read and write words and
sentences  is a very useful thing to be able to do.
I am dyslexic, and it took me till I was 6 years old to learn to read and
write English, and now the best part of a lifetime later I am still very
slow at reading music! I remain hopeless at "sight reading"... But the more
one tries, the easier it gets. If you want to get regular "session work"
reading  music is essential.
It is mostly necessary to transpose the music from one key to another when
deciding what notes to play on one's harmonica, depending on the key of the
 instrument.
There are LOTS of web sites that can help in learning musical notation. For
 example:
<< _http://datadragon.com/education/reading/_
(http://datadragon.com/education/reading/)  >>
As far as I'm concerned, it is better to spend the time to learn standard
musical notation, instead of relying on "Tabs"...
However, some of the greatest musicians ever couldn't read a note of
music... Louis Armstrong, Sonny Boy Williamson (Rice Miller).. & Little  Walter
as well, as far as I know.

John "Whiteboy" Walden
Cebu City
Philippines

In a message dated 1/29/2011 10:16:17 P.M. Malay Peninsula Standard ,