Re: [Harp-L] learning to read music

Armstrong was taught to read music by Professor Peter Davis at the the New
Orleans Home for Colored Waifs, where he had been sent after firing a pistol
in the air for New Year's Eve. He improved his reading when he joined Fate
Marable's band to play on Mississippi steamboats. Later on he held positions
in large bands (like Fletcher Henderson or Erskine Tait) which required
reading.

--
Arthur Jennings
http://www.timeistight.com