Re: [Harp-L] Speaking of amp stands...

"Nobody wants to hear harp in the mains or monitors??!!??!!"

Wow, I hardly know where to begin.

Who -- exactly -- does not want to hear harp in the mains and monitors?  My
bandmates certainly do.  I do, of course.  Our fans rave about the sound
when we play clubs with excellent sound systems and sound techs. It takes a
little work during sound check to get it just right for a mic'ed harp amp,
but it is surely worth it.

Every time I've seen Kim Wilson or Rick Estrin or Charlie Musselwhite or
other great players in clubs or concerts they've been mic'ed up.  I play the
same clubs and I cannot imagine doing it without PA support for the harp.  I
doesn't just make the harp louder, it balances the sound among the
instruments and distributes it evenly in the hall.  The problem you are
having with your signal dying in front of the stage would disappear if you
spent some time working with your PA or sound guy.

Even in small rooms your sound can benefit from being in the PA mix. A good
line out can sound excellent, with a lot less hassle than throwing a mic in
front of your amp.  Try putting just a tad bit of harp through the monitors
at first, and increase from there.  Your amp becomes your on-stage monitor.
Let the mains support your FOH sound.

Running your amp through the PA does not destroy your tone.  A good system
faithfully reproduces every nuance of your amp tone, but makes it feel lush
and full from any point in the room.  As I said in a recent article in the
Blues Harp Amps blog on this very topic, there are few things that sound as
good to my ear as a great harp amp through a great PA system.  It is a thing
of beauty.

--
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog