[Harp-L] Re: Les Thompson

Tom Ball writes:  Just found a great old clip of Les Thompson on  chromatic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlLGjO8MzpU
2. Odd-looking  mic attached. Any guesses?

Tom, remarkable performance... I'd kill to be able to play a  chrom like
that!

At around 1:17 you can kinda/sorta see the mic, it appears to be an Astatic
 Model 30.  That mic has been dubbed the 'Brown Biscuit',  allegedly by
Little Walter.  These definitely were popular with some  chromatic players back
then... along with many of the blues  guys.  Not clear enough to tell how
it's attached, but can  see it isn't hand held.  Not many people were modding
mic's then  so it's probably the original crystal element inside, but
perhaps not.   That shell will also accommodate a CM or CR element but I like it
better with a  crystal.  Not to be confused with the OTHER Astatic Model 30,
 which has a JT-30 like bullet style shell.  I have a few of both  types on
my shop shelves.

My free Harp Mic Buyers Guide has a bit more info on both the Astatic
Model 30's + lot's more.  Recently revised and free for the  asking at my
website (below), just mouse over the 'Harp Mic's' tab.

Christopher Richards

Twin Tone Harmonica Microphones  _www.harmonicaplanet.com_
(http://www.harmonicaplanet.com)
Author / Publisher - The Colorado Blues Jam Post & the free Harp Mic
Buyers Guide
Stage Manager - Greeley Blues Jam  _www.greeleybluesjam.com_
(http://www.greeleybluesjam.com)
Committee Member - Starfish on Broadway Project (assists mentally ill &
homeless musicians)
Starfish info can be found at:  _www.charg,org_ (http://www.charg,org)