Re: [Harp-L] Speaking of amp stands...

It is easy to over-estimate the directionality of an amp.  The mental image of a beam of sound emanating from the front of the amp like a beam of light is unrealistic.  Because  the speakers are small with respect to the the wavelengths of sound being produced, diffraction* causes the sound waves to disperse almost equally in the hemisphere to the front of the amp.  A better mental image would be to think of throwing the amp into a calm lake and watching the resulting waves.

Turning the amp at various angles to a sound level meter and plotting the readings would show the directionality of the amp.  A cruder experiment would be to determine the minimum angle that could be detected by a blindfolded listener.

* diffraction:  see  http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/diffrac.html

Vern