RE: [Harp-L] RP355 Patches

"Peter S..." wrote:
<It's a mixed bag for me.  Partially due to equipment limitations.  I was able to play the RP through <my stereo and was generally pleased with that sound.  But I need to play to music to judge better.  Couldn't do both at the same time!  I did play it through the K'Zoo with music through the stereo.  I found it to be rather muted, lost its punch.  If I turned anything up in the RP, I got feedback.  So not an optimal test.  I played with both patches and with other presets in the RP, tweaking a bit.  Then I played with the Zoom some.  I have to say that I like the Zoom better than the RP in terms of interface.  I like to change things and play immediately.  The advantage of the computer interface with the RP is lost with me for that reason.
<

You'll never get a great sound out of any amp modeler with a small tube amp on the back end--it's just not how they work.  That applies to the Zoom, a Line 6, a Boss FBM-1 bassman pedal, or anything else based on that technology.  As it happens, I do include a set of FX-only patches (no amp modeling) with my patch sets now, so you can use the RP as a reverb, delay, chorus, pitch shifter, etc. in front of your favorite amp.  But that's not what you were doing here.  (You might try turning off everything but the delay and reverb, setting up an analog delay, then seeing how you like those in front of the 'Zoo.)

I like the sound of the Zooms, and the interface is simpler than the RP--fewer dials to spin.  You did know that the dials on the front panel of the RP are for setting up your sounds, right? I set up all my sounds from the RP's front panel--it's faster and less cumbersome.  I only use the computer to save the sounds and re-arrange them into patch sets.

Beyond the sound of the RP, which I like, the computer backup is a very big deal.  If my RP breaks, I can have the same setup I used in performance loaded into another one in a minute or two.  The only other manufacturer who offers similar tools is Line 6, and their stuff costs 50% more than the Digitechs for comparable models, and doesn't sound any better to my ears.

Try your RP into a PA or keyboard amp and see what you think.  That's what it's for.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick