From: Aongus Mac Cana <amaccana@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Jan 31, 2011 6:32 am
Subject: [Harp-L] Reading music

I agree with those who say it is worthwhile to learn to read music and I
aspire to do so. However at age 74 I have cut it a bit fine.
In the loose group of musicians I sometimes try to play Irish trad with,
they dish out sheet music of the tunes we are playing to all who require it.
I notice that the youngsters who have received some formal music teaching
all seem to need the written music and in fact seem almost lost without it.
I on the other hand take the sheet music, but only use it "for forensic
dissection of the bar or two I can't get by ear, in the privacy of my own
home"
A few years ago I picked up a seriously cheap book called "The Right Way to
Read Music" in a bookshop in Clifden, Co. Galway. This book I found to be a
very accessible source of all the musical theory "I needed to know". I think
it is still available "for buttons" new and secondhand from Amazon and the
like.
There is a world of difference however in knowing what the notes are and
being able to sight read fast enough to play what you see.
In my fifties I learned how to touch type from a cheap and cheerful computer
instruction programme. I hoped, on my retirement that I would be able to
apply the  same methodology to learning music reading, but alas have not
succeeded so far. However some very  helpful prominent harp-l listers have
volunteered me useful tips off line, for which I am very grateful. I will
express my gratitude by not naming them - I reckon they have troubles enough
already without being deluged with requests for enlightenment.
Beannachtai
Aongus Mac Cana