Re: [Harp-L] Group Arrangement - and recording acoustic bass

Recording engineer who knew what they were doing had no trouble recording
acoustic bass in the 1950s. As far back as the 1920s,  Duke Ellington's bass
players got great recording sound. And the 1941-42 tracks featuring the
revolutionary bass playing of Jimmy Blanton, the engineers had absolutely no
trouble capturing his acoustic bass in all its glory even in the presence of
Ellington's four trumpets, four trombones, five saxes, piano, guitar, and drums.

I think one reason people assume there was no bass on Little Walter recordings
even when there was, is that people now expect something different from a bass
player from what people expected in 1954.

The role of bass has always been to provide bottom. Bottom is more important
than rhythm, and more important than melodic line. On some old recordings, it
didn't even seem to matter if the bass player played the wrong notes, as long as
he made a low, thumping noise on the first and third beats.

Now, Willie Dixon and Big Crawford played the right notes. At the right time :).
But they weren't there to play *lines* for the most part. They did add to the
rhythm. But the walking type lines that nowadays are given to the bass player
(partly due to the influence of jazz-style walking bass) were not a part of
blues bass playing in Chicago in 1954. That role fell to the second or even
third guitarist. So the modern listener hears that, assumes it's the bass line,
and fails to notice the deep thump on the first and third beats. But if you
listen for it, it's usually there.

Winslow
 Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com

From: "tacopescado@xxxxxxxxxxx" <tacopescado@xxxxxxxxxxx>

In those days the electric bass was in the infant stage and mic'ing an upright
bass, drums or piano were far from perfect and provided a sound that would be
unacceptable in today's music.

Taco