[Harp-L] Re: Fender Blues Deville tweaked, fine tuned for, harp

Tom

As previously stated, Mark Burness is a great source of help and advice. If you check out his MySpace page you'll find details of suggested mods for harp for the '59 Bassman, the principles of many of which would apply to your Blues Deville. You'd need to compare the schematics for the 59B and Blues Deville (widely available online) to identify the relevant equivalent components to modify/change. In terms of getting the work done you need to find a tech that's happy working on a printed circuit board, it can get a bit messy if they get it wrong.

One element of the suggested mods is to lower/cool the bias on the power valves. I don't know if the Blues Deville has a bias test point and adjustment screw, as per the Twin, but if not, Torres Engineering sell a simple device mounted in a valve base, called the BCMA, that you can plug in which provides test points to measure the bias using a digital multimeter - it's a cheap and cheerful (and safe) method of measuring the bias. On my 59 RI Bassman I've added a bias adjustment pot on the underside of the chassis that I can easily tweak the bias with.

NB though, the mods don't radically alter the sound of the amp, just make it more harp friendly.

Good luck and have fun
Tom