Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Getting Out Of Tune

Hi
When you draw bend hole 4, it is the blow reed that is doing most of the work. In this way you can be putting more stress on the blow 4 reed, when you draw bend 4, than you may know.

You can check out what I say by taking the cover plates off your harp, then bend the draw reed in hole 4 and when it is sounding stun the draw reed by putting your finger on it. You will hear the note go on, all-be-it with a different tone. So if you look at your note bending technique to see if you could play the bend on 4 with less air, passing at a lower pressure. You will find that your reeds keep their tuning for longer. A way to approach this improvement in technique would be to try making your runs using a lower volume. When you try this approach you may find that the volume doesn't go down by much but the air pressure will reduce, which is what you want & so you will get a longer playing life out of your reeds..

Over all you can do much to help yourself by reducing the effort that you use to get the effects that you seek. You need to get that balance of using just enough compression to effect the bend. When you use more power than is needed to get a bend the extra effort will go to shortening the playing life of your harp. It will also make accurate control of the instrument harder to manage.

When I started playing a harp would last me a week and now a harp will last for up to ten years. You will see by checking out a video of me playing on my website :

http://www.cognitionarts.com/

that I am a player  who likes to give it a bit of fire.
yours-David