Re: [Harp-L] Question on William Clarke's Version of "Work Song"

Clarke played this starting on 5&9 draw on a 16 hole, or 1&5 draw on a 12 hole,
not on the bottom octave of a 16 hole.

________________________________
From: ColdRail <gwoodhouse40@xxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, 3 July, 2011 0:47:53
Subject: [Harp-L] Question on William Clarke's Version of "Work Song"

On the chromatic version from the "Serious Intentions" album I
understand that Clarke played this on a 16 hole chromatic.  I have
been playing this for awhile on my 12 hole CX-12.  I recently received
a copy of the transcription that David Barrett did for this tune.  He
has the tune playing off the low octave (i.e. the main riff being
5-1d, 5-1d, 6-2d, 7-4b, 7-3d,7-3d, 7-3b, 7-3d, 8-5b).  When I play
these same holes on my 12 hole I hear the same octave range as the
Clarke recording.  Am I just hearing this wrong and Clarke is favoring
the higher (right side) of the splits and I am favoring the low side
(left side) from a volume perspective so I am approximating what I am
hearing with the "Overlapping 5 hole on the 64 and the 1 hole on the
CX-12 or did he really play this starting at the 5-9d?

Thanks, Glenn