RE: [Harp-L] When do get started with amplification?

Amplified playing isn't just about the tone, it increases your dynamic range as well.  Being amplified let's you play a level that's comfortable for you and still be heard rather than puffing away with all your might.

Generally I use an SM58 plugged straight into a PA, but when I'm jamming or in a non PA band rehearsal then I use my trusty ole Pignose 7-100.  I got it (along with a cheap tie clip microphone) when I began busking and it paid for itself quite quickly.  One nice thing about little battery amps is that they can sit discretely in your bag ready to be brought out if things start getting a bit noisey and you want some more oomph.

Patrick