[Harp-L] ENDORSEMENTS

To perhaps clear some confusion regarding endorsements.  Generally speaking an endorsement is really just saying, "I'm happy to put my name to this as a good product, " It's not necessarily, "This is the only brand I use." The exception being if the word "exclusively" is used. It's rather like "endorsing" a friends character doesn't mean they're the only friend you have with good character. I was once highly amused to see bass player Pino Pallidino, lately with The Who, in no less than three ads for three different makes of bass guitars in the same magazine!

Regarding what an artist gets out of lending their name to advertising a product, there are a few different arrangements.  A huge star may get cash as well as free product. These are usually exclusive endorsements and the artist is paid due to the amount of exposure and influence they bring to the table.  How many Marshall amps were sold when Clapton was seen using Marshall by millions?  Some may get only free product.  Some may have a more limited deal whereby they have to pay for merchandise but get a discount ranging from dealer cost to even less than dealer cost. Some may get absolutely nothing but give their endorsement because they are really excited about the product and think people should know about it.

In any event, if someone like Kim Wilson or Charlie Musslewhite says such and such a product is great you can bet your happy ass it's great.  But they don't mean it's the only one that is right for everybody and to rush out and buy it just on their say so.