[Harp-L] Pointing At The Moon!

Hello, fellow harpers!

     As a long-time lurker, and only occasional poster; I felt it necessary to remind
us all that it is truly not the number of lines on the finger, pointing at the moon, but
THE MOON is what you have to dig!  The most important journey that one takes as
a HUMAN, let alone a harp-player, is about 18 inches.
That is the distance between the mind and the heart!  Trust that still, small voice that says:
     "That's BULLSHIT!" against the loud shouting of the voice(s) that say you need this, or that,
or a can of instant-goo that will make you sound like somebody else.
The very best harp-players, Jerry McCain, and James Cotton can play through ANYTHING
and sound FANTASTIC!  I'm sure that at the REAL juke-joints, they laugh about the young cats
that come down with their fancy gear and STILL can't cut it!  Many, many many players would solve
HALF their problems if they took a few hours to learn about basic mixer/PA settings and how to
at least get in the ballpark, with a a '58 or an Audix, etc.  I mean, it's like watching a retiree
drive a newly-leased Porsche to listen to some of these cats think they can buy ... IT!
     As far as amps go ... three rules.
1) Find a tech who you trust, and buy them beer or food or otherwise make friends!
2) Tubes, Tubes, Tubes.
3) Soft sound-waves sound better than Greek mosaics, or SQUARE waves!
    if in doubt, refer to number three.
4) When using a guitar-amp, you MUST find the right mic, or have the input resistance at 1 Mega-Ohm;
    OR ... try and fight feedback by subbing-out pre-amp tubes.
Comments, feedback?  Well ... hopefully no feedback, ha!
Make the PA work for you, use your amp as a monitor.  Ron Holmes is right about that, especially on a strange stage.

Keep pointing at the Moon!

P.S.  The XB-40 is an over-priced piece of you-know-what!  It leaks like a flatulent old dog.
        I don't have TIME to F with harps that much, especially when they cost THAT much!
Remember, not failure, but low aim is the true sin; and keep pointing at the moon!