[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 95, Issue 26

Hi, Mike

Let me respond to both your questions and reinforce/amplify on Bill's answer:

1. Every one of my endorsers is for real and recommends my products. You can ask them yourself.

2. Pros DO have more than one mic - often they come from multiple vendors.

3. I have dealt with Chuck Gurney - he, along with Dennis Oellig, is on the VERY short list of vendors I will recommend customers to when it makes sense. Each of us has some specialties and when a customer asks me for something like an element rebuild - well, Chuck is the go-to guy. If they want a painted metal shell, Dennis does wonderful work. And if one of their customers ask about a wood mic, an in-line volume control or a chopped SM57, I know they have no qualms recommending me. I know this because it happens.

4. I know for a fact that Mark Hummel used to use Meteor and now uses Sonny Jr amps. I know for a fact that Andy Just uses my products and services as well as Chuck's.

There is no mystery or attempt to deceive going on. That isn't to say there aren't some unscrupulous vendors out there - there ARE. But Dennis and Chuck aren't among them, and as for me, I'm happy to let my customers tell you.

As for choosing a vendor, here is the advice I have at the end of my "All about harmonica microphones and then some..." document (downloadable as a PDF from the home page of my web site, http://www.blowsmeaway.com):

I have worked on many mics that others have worked on before me and I can tell you that mic builders are NOT all created equal! There are a few very, very good ones out there. And there are some guys who rave about their mics but do really poor quality work. I urge you to consider the following:
1.	Choose a builder who is easy to communicate with! If you can’t get your emails or phone calls answered in a day or two you’re dealing with the wrong guy.
2.	Check the builder’s reputation. Google him. Ask online. If someone has had a bad experience they may not choose to air their laundry in public, but they’ll send you a private email. I have gone so far as to conduct a web-based customer satisfaction survey and have posted the results on my web site.
3.	See who the builder’s customers are. If pros are willing to associate their name with the builder, that’s a strong recommendation.
4.	Can they play? I mean really play? A mic builder doesn’t have to be Charlie, Kim or Rod, but if he can’t at least produce great tone and demonstrate good microphone technique then he probably doesn’t “get it.” If he doesn’t perform, he may not understand what’s important, not just about tone, but about compatibility, reliability, feedback control, etc. – experience that comes from the performance environment. And if he can play, I guarantee there are videos and/or sound files on the web and/or CD’s to prove it.

I'm happy to help you if I can.

Cheers

/Greg

http://blowsmeaway.com