Re: [Harp-L] Mark Hummel

Interesting to hear others giving Mark Hummel words of praise....
I agree he has earned it over the years....
His impact on the SF Bay Area Blues Scene should not be overlooked.

Many years ago, Tom Mazzolini, used to put on the Battle of the Harmonicas.
typically, these huge events were in large venues like the Palace of Fine Arts.
They Featured the worlds best Blues Harmonica players.
Tom also Put  on the wonderful SF Blues Festival at Fort Mason.
Unfortunately, these were world Class events and no longer are part of the landscape.
http://www.sfblues.com/producer/

Back in those Days, I would go see Mark at the Lost and Found Saloon, a small venue.
It was right across the street from The Saloon ( San Francisco's hardcore blues joint)
where Charlie would be playing....One night Mark stuck his head in a dive I was playing in ....next door at the Grant and Green.
He heard me trying to get my chops together and invited me to his invitation only Jam in San Mateo.

On a Sunday, I went to this cellar/Bar....
It was a bit different  vibe as the bar served as a strip joint on the other nights..
and Mark was putting on this show...great Band...Great musicians.

Even though I was nobody, Mark treated me like a featured player and I
would like to think I rose to the occasion.
He walked up to me after my first song and said, "nice third Position"
Wow..he was listening....and he kept me up for the next singer......
turned out to be John Lee Hooker.....

Yeah, Mark is well connected...and very good to other harp players.
I owe him a great deal.  In this area, the top players share many of the same musicians
and Mark has brought quite a few of my friends ( all instruments)  into his stable and they have become solid players.

The beauty of the shows he does is he keeps the venues reasonable in size by doing a number of shows.
Not one big blow out a year.  You can get up close and personal.

He is truly under appreciated in the Bay Area for all he does and has done.
I remember when he came out with a record ( cassette) called "Married to the Blues".
That is the level of dedication it takes to get to where he is now....
Our own Andy Santana is hard working too  and does not get the  recognition the deserves. ( great singer too)

Mark has filled a huge void in our Bay Area Blues Scene and should be seen as tireless ambassador of Blues.

It feel like his time has finally come.  Lord knows he has earned it.

Grant Walters

www.grantwaltersmusic.com