Re: [Harp-L] Gear Creep

Jeff Baker wrote:
<75 harmonicas ? ? ? ! ! !

Well, one might break.

Seriously, that's 20-24 diatonics in standard tuning, various makes and models; 12 in natural minor; 12 in dorian minor; 2-3 chromatics; and assorted melody makers, country tuned harps, harmonic minors, and special diatonics like SBS tuned model 365s, Seydel low A, Paddy Richters, Paddy minors, etc.

Tommy Morgan told me once that he used to carry 75 POUNDS of harmonicas to his recording sessions. Not 75 harps.  75 POUNDS of harps.  That's diatonics, chromatics, bass harps, etc., some tuned to A447 so he could get that heavy Leo Diamond vibrato without going flat.

The last thing I want on a recording session is not to have the right harp for the song. Two harp cases is not a lot of gear to carry to ensure that that never happens.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick