Re: [Harp-L] bluegrass at SPAH

It can be difficult for mandolins and guitars to be heard in a jam, and,
sometimes, you will run across a fiddler or banjo player who just cannot
play out.  It isn't uncommon for instruments to not be heard.  As harmonica
players, we are, on the average as loud as a flatpick guitar player, and we
simply need to learn to play louder on our breaks just like they do.  I,
personally, seldom have difficulty making myself heard in a standard sized
jam and I don't have to overplay to do it.  It is like they say in the war
movies, 'Remember your air support!'.

I have to admit one thing.  Because I didn't bend notes for a very long
time, I have been playing bluegrass in the upper two octaves of my
harmonicas for decades (because that is where the scales I need are), and it
can help you be heard.  I have low harps, too, but I don't use them if the
volume situation isn't suited for them.  They are very nice, though, for a
slower, sweeter tune when the volume isn't quite so high.  Both loud and
soft situations can occur in a jam.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 7:09 AM, JWilliam Thompson <landcommentary@xxxxxxxxx