Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] SPAH - who's going? Say something about yourself!

On Jul 22, 2011, at 6:04 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Smokey sez:
> "
> 1. yes
> 2. Everglades
> 3. Chro. Diat. Clar. Tenor Trum. Flut.
> 4. You name it, I play it
> 5. 81%   64%   81%   64%   81%   64%
> 6. Hearing David Fairweather sing bop."
>
> ..to David's questions.  Since one of my favourite things to do at SPAH is hang out with Smokey, my responses would include that last one AND:
>
> 1. yes - if my health cooperates and I'm able to walk in time.
>    (if not, I'll let the powers that be know about a week
>    ahead that they'll have an 'extra' Hotel room).

This will be disturbing to me if you don't attend.

> 2. New York (Long Island) - a long drive down.

I'm only driving a little over 1000 mi. I could take a plane, but the wires and pins in my face hurt a lot.

> 3. Chromatic mainly, tremolo,some diatonic (not very
>    well), piano/keyboards.
> 4. Like Smokey, my taste is very eclectic - in fact we like a
>    lot of the same music although I also love '60's R&B and
>    playing the 'big' ballads. (He's the jazz player I aspire
>    to play as well as someday). One should have a goal...

I may not exactly be jazz. More like jazzified pop or swing. I am one of a few who actually play dixieland on harmonica. In fact, that's what I will be doing at the Suncoast jazz fest, Clearwater Fl. in Nov. I haven't posted what I will be doing at spah. I'll find something to do?

> 5. Otherwise, purely an amateur comfortable making my own
>    music with no thoughts of ever becoming a 'pro'.
>    I've been surrounded by such exceptional harmonica players
>    for so many years now, I'm well aware of my 'level'.<G>

I am aware of mine too. Though I turned professional in 1957 (if being paid is a criteria), I never advanced to an 'A' level. lol
I had a restrictive job. The 'behavior book was as thick as the Manhattan phone book. 1. No hanging around liquor establishments.
2. No hanging around with questionable characters (musicians were considered questionable). 3. No excessive drinking (anything over 1-2 social drinks). So if you were at a club, you had better be with a date. lol. And about a couple hundred more don't.

> 6. a)Just as MadCat said: being immersed in the whole SPAH
>    experience is primary.

The 'Cat in the hat' is a cool cat. I had been studying him for years. This guy is a good head. He once came into the hall while I was on stage. Sat right next to my wife (who rarely goes to feasts). He didn't know who she was. Made some nice comments about my playing. After I was done, I had to get out of the hall. I actually get sick when I play in front of harmonica players. The 'Cat' pulled me into a corner and wanted me to hear him play a tune he was working on. Wanted MY opinion? Whaaaaa? I was stunned. One of my heros asking little ole me my opinion. You could have knocked me over with a bagel.

> It's all great - from the people to
>    the Filisko teach-ins, to the hallway play-alongs, to the
>    night-time jams. SOME day I'll be brave enough (or good
>    enough) to participate in one of those.
>    b)Playing a long-promised/postponed duet with my friend
>    Smo-Joe if I can get to this SPAH.

That would be nice. And this time I won't play in braille. lolol
jo-jo