Re: [Harp-L] seamless overblow quest -- hot & sweet

This video demonstrates one style of song. In general there are two kinds of songs: hot and sweet. For the most part sweet songs do not lend themselves to bent notes and OBs because of the pitch and timbres are so difficult to achieve. Sweet songs demand precise notes and pitch. Sweet songs can be played with bends and OBs but their performance is admired mostly for the attempt than the execution (Buddy Greene).

Hot songs, like blues and most jazz, actually sound better with bent notes and OBs because most of them have a fast tempo and the bends and OBs are often passing tones, as opposed to lingering or loooong notes.

To my ear, bent notes on a half-valved harmonica (blues & chrome) sound superior to naked bends and OBs.

I've heard a few OBs  over the years and I think Larry is one of the best -- whether he is playing off the top of his head or rehearsed -- few people can match his skill.

Adam Gussow is one of my favorite examples of  a blues guy making use of OBs.

(I'm sure there are others, that I can't think of them at the moment. )

I don't think there is any question that OBs are different, but Larry comes the closest I've ever heard to seamless (in workshops and concerts).

Howard once said it took him three years to get OBs under control and another three years to be able to put them to use.

I admire people like Larry who spend the time to master those tricky OBs -- but I think OBs require more technique and woodshedding than most people are willing to invest in them.

This whole issue is almost like asking a trumpet player why he doesn't play sax?

Hope this helps.