Re: [Harp-L] Harp-L] Re: Seamless Overblow Challenge

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 11:03 PM, David Naiditch
<davidnaiditch@xxxxxxxxxxx>indicates:  ...change of timbre between
notes DOES matter, and [in some
instruments, variations] ... "wouldn't conform to the traditional way of
playing"

It seems to boil down to HOW MUCH variation one will accept (enjoy).

I hear subtle differences between notes on many instruments:

GHB Great Highland Bagpipe certainly has some less than perfectly matching
tones and pitch, and that IS the traditional sound.

Guitar and pedal steel guitar have uneven characteristics. The same note
will have a different nature in each position because of string length,
mass, harmonics, etc.

The variations we hear from a sax and vocal are tolerated, and even
preferred, because they give expression and uniqueness to the artist and the
performance.

Even our beloved diatonic has tonal differences between the same note of
draw 2 and blow 3.

Again, HOW MUCH variation is welcomed, will be personal and subjective. It
is marvelous what wonderful music some performers can produce with this
"difficult" and "limited" little instrument.

Robert Hale
Learn Harmonica via Webcam
Low Rates, High Results
http://www.dukeofwail.com