[Harp-L] Re: who's going to SPAH

Sorry, I'm a late responder on the subject of "who's going to SPAH" because I've been traveling this week. But in a summer of too much travel, the one trip that I have been most looking forward to is SPAH. It'll be my first.
I've been playing harmonica off and on for over 40 years. As one who had difficulty bending, I usually played a chromatics, but I still valued the small size of the diatonic that you can cradle in your hands. This let me to start exploring alternative tunings, first Paddy Richter, and then fourkey tuning. Now, over the past two years, I have really enjoyed learning new kinds of music with fourkey harps. I very much look forward to sharing with David Fairweather the session on this tuning that blends chromatic and diatonic, on Saturday at SPAH.
-Roger

On 7/22/2011 1:50 PM, Jim Hanks wrote:

*HATE* I'm going to miss this. I have a business trip 16-18Aug to Virginia Beach. If it's not too much trouble, can y'all just move this SPAH thing back a week? :-)
> On 7/22/2011 1:44 PM, David Fairweather <dmf273@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

I will be presenting an "Introduction to Fourkey" seminar together with Prof. Roger Myerson on
Saturday afternoon.

On 7/25/2011 10:35 AM, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 23:00:57 -0700
From: David Fairweather<dmf273@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Fourkey at SPAH
To:"Harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx"  <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

I agree with just about everything Steve Baker said  in his recent post
about using altered tunings to avoid "altered" notes.   As I get deeper into
Fourkey tuning,  which has 10 out of 12 notes in the chromatic scale
available as unbent "natural" notes,  I find myself using the Fourkey
positions where those two bent notes fall where I want them to be.   I will
be demonstrating at SPAH why I like 4th position on the Fourkey.  In 4th
Position Fourkey, the only bent notes are the flatted 5th and the flatted
9th, and  those usually sound pretty good as bends.   But what if you want a
note to bend and it's not the flat 5 or the flat 9?   Come to my SPAH
demonstration and find out!

-- Roger B. Myerson, Glen A. Lloyd Distinguished Service Professor Department of Economics, University of Chicago 1126 East 59th Street, Chicago, IL 60637 Phone: 773-834-9071, Fax: 773-702-8490 http://home.uchicago.edu/~rmyerson/