[Harp-L] new diatonic tuning for chromatic play with chords

Suppose that we want to find a way to tune a diatonic harmonica to allow us to get the whole chromatic scale with only draw bends (no overblows), and we want at least one major scale to be playable without any bends at all. We also want a simple pattern that can be repeated each octave, with notes always getting higher as we go from left to right in the harp (no back and forth). Andy Newton showed that there were essentially only three ways of designing such a good chromatic-in-diatonic tuning, and none of them seemed to provide good easily playable chords. But he included one other assumption in his construction: that in each hole the draw note should always be higher than the blow note.

If we drop this last assumption, then some variants of the tunings that Andy Newton found actually can have an easily playable major chord. In fact, I have found a tuning that satisfies all these good properties and has both a major chord and a minor chord are easily playable (in three consecutive holes with the same breath direction). I believe that there is essentially only one way to do this, and that is to use a variant of Newton's less-known "twokey" pattern. Here is the layout for a 10-hole twokey harp that plays the G and C major keys and also A harmonic minor without bending and that has a playable G major chord and playable A minor chord:

BLOW  D  F# G# A  C  E  F# G# A  C
DRAW  E  F  G  B  D  D# F  G  B  D

The missing chromatic notes are Bb and C#, and they are available by simple draw bends, without any need for overblowing.

This tuning has five-hole octaves, which are necessary for any such diatonic tuning that allows chromatic play without overblowing and that allows at least one major key to be played without bends (as is explained athttp://4keyharps.wordpress.com/ ). The blow and draw notes in each hole here differ either by a wholetone interval with draw note high, or by a halftone interval with the blow note high. The reversal of the halftone intervals is the change from Andy Newton's twokey pattern that allows us to get the G major and A minor chords.

The twokey pattern would have put the notes E and D# in hole 1, but my suggested layout here breaks with the pattern in hole 1 to get two full octaves in this 10-hole harp (without losing any other desiderata). The missing D# in hole 1 is available by a draw bend.

I think that this is new. Have you seen this tuning or anything like it before?
-Roger

--
Roger B. Myerson, Glen A. Lloyd Distinguished Service Professor
Department of Economics, University of Chicago