[Harp-L] Re: new diatonic tuning for chromatic play with chords

Hi Jim:
Like you, I feel no urge to switch from fourkey tuning to this twokey tuning with chords. I have come to appreciate fourkey tuning as an intuitive versatile instrument for melodic play, and the lack of good simple chords did not bother me at all. But I sensed that many people feel that chords are an important part of what a harmonica should provide. I was trying to prove that it was impossible have the melodic power of fourkey tuning with chords. But instead of proving this impossibility, I found this twokey tuning with chords!

Among the four keys of a fourkey harp, I like best to play in the two keys that have 5 notes of one breath direction and only 2 in the other (C and A in a C-G-D-A fourkey). With pentatonic fourkey tuning, I find that melodies often run up and down with unchanging breath direction, and that makes it easier to sound good! But the two keys of this twokey harp each have 4/3 divisions on breath direction. So going from four keys to two keys is certainly a cost, and the change here is essentially eliminating the two keys that I liked best.
I was able to design a fourkey that has a major chord in the nice 4th position key (A in a C-G-D-A fourkey). But it only has that one chord, no alternative minor chord.
http://www.slidemeister.com/forums/index.php?topic=1205.msg62359

Now let me say something about where I put the tonics. A 10-hole harmonica with 5-hole octaves certainly can feel narrow. You have a range of only two octaves and it's easy to start and then find yourself wanting to play off of one side or the other. In this environment, where you place the tonic of your major keys can be important. The old convention is that the tonic of the major key should be the low note on the harmonica. But how many tunes start on a low tonic and then just go up higher. "Do-a-deer" is the only such tune that I can think of! Most songs that stay in a key do not just wander in one octave between two tonics, instead the tune usually wanders above and below a tonic note around which it will finally come to rest. So I thought it desirable to have at lest one of the major tonic-to-tonic octaves be somewhere in the middle of the instrument when I have only two octaves. So the design that I suggested for a C-G chord twokey has the G major tonic-to-tonic octave well centered, and the A minor tonic-to-tonic octave is also centered, placing the C major tonic-to-tonic octave rather high in the instrument. The fourkey harp that I have been playing for the past two years has G major, A minor, and C major placed exactly this way in the instrument, and I have found it very convenient for playing most tunes that I know in at least one of those keys. The key on my harp (D) that has a tonics at the high and low end of the instrument is the key for which I most often find difficulties staying within its 2-octave range. But of course this depends on what I have been trying to play, and others who play more kinds of music might see it differently.
-Roger