[Harp-L] Re: new diatonic tuning for chromatic play with chords

Please let me try again to give a shorter and better answer to the question of where the tonics should be placed in a harp.

When we have only two octaves and can only comfortably play in a limited number of keys, this question can be important. When we are want to play a tune that has a range of close to two octaves, we hope that its high and low notes will match up well with the range of our instrument in one of the keys that we can comfortably play the tune. So when we want to play a tune with a broad range of about two octaves, what are commonly the highest and lowest notes. I have never played any tune where the range goes two octaves from a low tonic to a high tonic. Usually I find that such songs have high and low notes that are the dominant or the subdominant, not the tonic root of the key. But from that perspective, your suggestion looks as good as mine, since your low note is indeed the subdominant of one of the major keys in which we expect to play this instrument.

But obviously this game of trying to analyze what notes of the scale are most commonly low and high notes depends on what music we play, and I probably should not put much weight on my limited experience. So let me suggest another approach to the question. Instead of trying to guess what notes are likely to be highest and lowest, let's just try to admit, given the narrowness of our range, every extra note that we can get will be worthwhile. So I always look at the top and bottom ends of the harmonica and ask whether we can possibly raise the top note or lower the bottom note a half step without doing too much violence to the other good properties of the instrument. So I put the bottom of my harp in a place where the natural bottom note (D#) was not actually used in either of my twokey scales, so that I could convert it to a bend and get another bit more range by lowering the bottom note a half-step. So my version goes low D to high D (two full octaves including both ends) and your version goes low C to high B.

Thanks again for your note. I hope that you are starting to enjoy your fourkey!
-Roger